If you’re a humble, true believer in Jesus Christ, you’ll have no problem beating evil spirits. However, you can’t help everyone nor does everyone want to be helped.
Note: A child of God cannot be possessed by an evil spirit because no Bible verse says possession is possible. Possession meaning someone else has control over your body. However, through sin, a believer can unknowingly allow demons to heavily harass or influence them which can feel like they have no control. However, this is not true. Whether a spirit is inside or out, you will always have control over yourself and God’s power will push them away.
We must accept that evil spirits exist and they plague mankind. Demons and fallen angels influence, deceive, and manipulate us to practice sin; but we must understand three things:
- All believers have been given authority to cast out demons, not just apostles, pastors, and prophets (Luke 10:19; Mark 16:16-18, John 14:11-13). Only true believers have authority.
- When evicting unclean spirits, we don’t need to have a conversation with them. When we see dialog with demons at deliverance services on TV or Youtube it’s often a show to glorify the preacher.
- Evil spirits should come out with little effort. The examples in Scripture show a fairly quick eviction, with very little delay from the unclean spirits (Luke 4:33-36, Matthew 12:22).
Trouble casting out spirits
If you have difficulty casting out evil spirits, it can be several reasons:
- You may lack humility and faith.
- You may need to fast and pray.
- You may not have authority.
In Acts 19:13-16, we see seven men get beat up by one demon-possessed man because they didn’t have authority.
In Matthew 17:14-21, we see the disciples fail to cure a young boy because their faith was low. Jesus also revealed that some spirits won’t come out without fasting and prayer.
Scripture teaches us that we humble our souls with fasting and prayer (Psalm 35:13). Therefore, humility is important when battling evil spirits.
Dealing with fallen angels
The archangel Michael said to Satan, “The Lord rebuke you” (Jude 1:8-11). We should follow his example. Michael rejected Satan’s request, while still respecting his rank as a cherub angel.
We must have respect for evil spirits, especially fallen angels because they are far more wiser and powerful than us. But we must never forget our authority over their power.
Evil spirits in movies
Hollywood’s depiction of spirits in movies are often designed to deceive us. They want us to believe one of three things:
- They only exist in fiction, they’re not real.
- They can do anything.
- They’re our friends and guides.
None of these are true, especially the last one. If you see a ghost that resembles a dead loved-one, it’s a demon masquerading to lead you astray. You cannot pray to dead family members or dead Saints.
Consulting the dead is called necromancy and forbidden by God (Leviticus 19:26; Deuteronomy 18:10; Galatians 5:19-20; Acts 19:19).
How to cast out spirits from within
- First, you don’t need a deliverance ministry. Believers should practice self-deliverance.
- We must submit to God (humble ourselves), resist the devil, and they will flee (James 4:7).
- We must practice putting on the armor of God every day to prevent entry (Eph 6:12-). The battlefield is in our minds. The devil attacks us with deception and circumstances.
- Jesus was never infiltrated but he fought the enemy’s deception and won because he knew what the Bible says and could reply to Satan’s lies with the truth (Matthew 4:1-11).
- Once we believe the truth and declare the truth, we command the evil spirit to go; and it will leave. You should fast if you don’t feel results soon after.
- When you’re free, you’ll feel peace, the negative emotions will cease, and you’ll feel a weight lifted. You may yell, yawn, burp, or even fart. Spirits are like air and will leave your body like air would.
- Afterward, submit that area of your life to Holy Spirit; this is what we call “filling your house” (Luke 11:24-26).
How to cast out spirits in others
- Once again, going to a deliverance ministry is unnecessary. Take up your authority and you’ll be able to help others get free.
- Only cast out spirits in people who want to be free (particularly other believers), or young children.
- Believe the power is from God and not yourself.
- Be led by the Spirit when dealing with people with devils.